After more testing and investigation, it looks like AWN is NOT to
blame in breaking the gimp in Hardy Heron. It was just mere coincidence that
the installation of AWN also was the start of the gimp not working.

I booted off the Ubuntu Hardy Heron Live CD and installed gimpshop via
dpkg -i. Both gimp and gimpshop worked perfectly. If you did a "ldd
`which gimp-2.4`", you would see that the gimp only loaded libraries in
/lib and /usr/lib and NOT any libraries installed by Gimpshop in
/usr/local/lib.

Since gimpshop was installed vua "dpkg -i", the library cache was never
regenerated.

But then I did a "sudo ldconfig". Then gimp stopped working. (But
gimpshop still worked). If you did a "ldd `which gimp-2.4`", you would
see the gimp loading some (but not all) libraries from /usr/local/lib
where gimpshop installed libraries.

When I installed AWN via apt-get, the library cache got regenerated (via
ldconfig).  Then the gimp stopped working.

So it does look like a packaging issue. The gimpshop package should be
modified to show a conflict with gimp. But since the gimpshop project
appears to be dead that is not likely to happen.