>> How the GIMP user interface should behave...
>> Three popular options are:

>> 1) Keep the Toolbox and Docks next to, and NOT overlapping, the image
window.
>> Good for big, wide monitors. The behaviour is then very much like a
>> single-window application.

>> 2) Keep the Toolbox and Docks over the image window. Use Tab key to hide
or
>> to show the Toolbox and Docks.

>> 3) Set the mouse to activate and raise windows, and set the Toolbox and
Docks
>> to go either above or below the image window. Then a quick movement of
the
>> mouse brings up whichever window is desired.

Bettina asks...

Hi Sterling,

could you please mention on which platforms your these options work?
E.g.number 2. don't works on Mac neither on Windows XP (in my case).

thank you tina

Reply to Bettina...

Hello Tina,

Number 1. should be work on any platform, since the windows never need to
overlap. You might want to adjust the GIMP settings under
"Edit-Preferences-Image Windows-Zoom and Resize Behaviour" to kep the imag
window where you want it.
---   ---   ---  ---  ---  ---   ---
Number 2. takes more explanation, even though it is the default behaviour in
GIMP 2.6.

First, look at the options in "Edit-Preferences-Windows Management-Hint for
the toolbox/Hint for other docks". Each 'hint' box has three options:

   Normal Window-- Means the toolbox or dock can be over or under the image
window and shows up in the Windows 'Taskbar' (in other operating systems may
be called 'Panel' or 'Dock').

   Utility Window-- Toolbox/dock stays over the image window and does not
appear in the taskbar.

   Keep On Top-- Toolbox/dock stays over image window and does appear in the
taskbar.

GIMP 2.6 by default has the toolbox and docks set to be Utility Windows. The
Tab key's function of showing or hiding the toolbox and docks is built into
GIMP and cannot be changed without going into the source code. A regular GIMP
user cannot change it. The problem Mario pointed out in an earlier post is
that once the toolbox has got 'focus', the Tab key switches from one tool to
the next. You have to click-on the image window or the dock to take the focus
away from the toolbox for the tab key to act like we want it to, and hide the
toolbox and docks.
---   ---   ---  ---  ---  ---   ---
Number 3. has the toolbox and docks set to be Normal Windows.

Movement of the mouse is used to activate and raise the desired window. In
Ubuntu 8.04 that mouse behaviour is set under "System-Preferences-Windows". In
Windows XP it is set in TweakUI under a tab labelled 'Mouse'. If you do not
already have TweakUI, it is a free download from Microsoft. My version shows
up as a Control Panel item. I think the newer version shows up in your
Programs list.
I do not know how to do these things on a Mac. Anyone else know?

If you use the mouse this way, you need to watch out for two things: 1) Keep
the delay long enough so that you can move the mouse to a newly opened window
without covering that window with some previous one. 2) Only open about half a
dozen windows at once. If you have too many, they will cover each other and
make it difficult to find the ones underneath. If you have multiple desktops
(like Linux OS's have) use one desktop for GIMP and run other stuff
elsewhere.
I know this was a long explanation, but I hope it was also useful.

--
Sterling