>>> How the GIMP user interface should behave...
>>> Three popular options are:
>>> 1) Keep the Toolbox and Docks next to, and NOT overlapping, the image
>>> Good for big, wide monitors. The behaviour is then very much like a
>>> single-window application.
>>> 2) Keep the Toolbox and Docks over the image window. Use Tab key to hide
>>> to show the Toolbox and Docks.
>>> 3) Set the mouse to activate and raise windows, and set the Toolbox and
>>> to go either above or below the image window. Then a quick movement of
>>> mouse brings up whichever window is desired.
>Bettina asks...
>Hi Sterling,
>could you please mention on which platforms your these options work?
>E.g.number 2. don't works on Mac neither on Windows XP (in my case).
>thank you tina
>Reply to Bettina...
>Hello Tina,
>Number 1. should be work on any platform, since the windows never need to
>overlap. You might want to adjust the GIMP settings under
>"Edit-Preferences-Image Windows-Zoom and Resize Behaviour" to kep the imag
>window where you want it.
>---   ---   ---  ---  ---  ---   ---
>Number 2. takes more explanation, even though it is the default behaviour
>GIMP 2.6.
>First, look at the options in "Edit-Preferences-Windows Management-Hint for
>the toolbox/Hint for other docks". Each 'hint' box has three options:
>   Normal Window-- Means the toolbox or dock can be over or under the image
>window and shows up in the Windows 'Taskbar' (in other operating systems
>be called 'Panel' or 'Dock').
>   Utility Window-- Toolbox/dock stays over the image window and does not
>appear in the taskbar.
>   Keep On Top-- Toolbox/dock stays over image window and does appear in
>GIMP 2.6 by default has the toolbox and docks set to be Utility Windows.
>Tab key's function of showing or hiding the toolbox and docks is built into
>GIMP and cannot be changed without going into the source code. A regular
>user cannot change it. The problem Mario pointed out in an earlier post is
>that once the toolbox has got 'focus', the Tab key switches from one tool
>the next. You have to click-on the image window or the dock to take the
>away from the toolbox for the tab key to act like we want it to, and hide
>toolbox and docks.
>---   ---   ---  ---  ---  ---   ---
>Number 3. has the toolbox and docks set to be Normal Windows.
>Movement of the mouse is used to activate and raise the desired window. In
>Ubuntu 8.04 that mouse behaviour is set under "System-Preferences-Windows".
>Windows XP it is set in TweakUI under a tab labelled 'Mouse'. If you do not
>already have TweakUI, it is a free download from Microsoft. My version
>up as a Control Panel item. I think the newer version shows up in your
>Programs list.
>I do not know how to do these things on a Mac. Anyone else know?
> [...]

I am using Autohotkey to fix this behaviour (and a lot of other custom

What the code below does is to map the tab key to set the focus on the main
window before actually "tabbing".

The drawback is that in some windows like "New image", tab hides it too, so I
have to hit Ctrl-tab instead if I want to move between fields.

This is not a true fix (it requires *Autohotkey*), but does the job.

SetTitleMatchMode, 2
SetKeyDelay, 0

#IfWinActive,  ahk_class gdkWindowToplevel
        ControlFocus, gdkWindowChild2, GNU Image Manipulation Program
        ControlFocus, gdkWindowChild2, GIMP
        send, {tab}

Ciro R.