On Tue 11 Nov 2008 03:00:11 am David Gowers wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 6:55 AM, Joshua McGee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I sell postage stamps.  For inventory photos, I scan whole "stocksheets"
> > (black backing, acetate strips to hold the stamps) with the stamps in
> > place, then use GIMP to cut out the individual stamps for listing.
> >
> > Right now, I draw a rectangular selection around each stamp, then CTRL-C,
> > CTRL-SHIFT-V, CTRL-SHIFT-S, type a name.  I can do this pretty quickly,
> > but my wrists would thank me if there were a way to bind this series of
> > keypresses to one keystroke, or to have a sort of "Copy to" like the old
> > Windows Paint program had.
> >
> > Sorry if this is a ridiculously easy question.
> Alec's idea is pretty elegant. My ideas are below.
> On Linux, you can use xDoTool for this; You would basically create a
> noninteractive Python plugin which runs the following command using
> os.system():

David --

I fail to perceive in which ay this could be any better than a plug-in that
simply does the copy, paste as new, save in first place, without loopback
keyboard input hacks.

As for Joshua - just e-mail me confirming you can run python plug-ins, and
re-state your need , and I can make such a script in little time.

Just --- have you tried simply reassing the shortcuts?
You can enable "dynamic keyboard shortcuts" in preferences->interface (and
also, turn of mnmonics, so you can have single letter shortcuts, instead of
ctrl+shift+alt+ KEY things).

Maybe if you have "C" copy, "V", paste  as new, and "B" save as you are better
of then with any script we could think of.

(and you donį¹« need to save these shortcuts - iwtih dynamic shrotcuts on, you
can simply assign  then each time you are slicing a sheet of stamps, and have
the defaut shortcuts load at the next gimp restart)