Why don't you

   1. Open the GIF image
   2. Select the entire image (Ctrl+A)
   3. Copy it (Ctrl+C)
   4. Right-click on the image, then click on Edit > Paste as New Image Now
   you'll have a non-indexed image which will allow you to add transparency,
   after you're done,
   5. Select the entire image (Ctrl+A)
   6. Copy it (Ctrl+C)
   7. Paste it onto the image you want to "watermark" (Ctrl+V), then you can
   move it around to where you want and then click off of the selection to set
   it

One thin about the image you're pasting it onto is that if it is a GIF, then
you might experience transparency problems there also. Two things a) I never
use GIF images where I can use PNG images, and 2) GIF images are always
indexed, which means you're limited to whatever colors are in the index, so
you can't really paste another image onto a GIF image and expect it to work