JPEG images cannot have transparency. So if that is what you are asking then
the answer is "no". Only GIF and PNG images can have transparency in them.
GIMP's native XCF format can also retain transparency but it is not usable
as a production image format -- you must "export it" (use File > Save As) to
a supported image format, such as JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF, or others depending
on the system you are using.

Nathan