Andrew wrote:
> peter kostov wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Is there anyone here, who has a Nikon DSLR and is shooting in RAW? If
>> yes - how do you deal with your .NEF images?
>> On a CD that came with my camera there was a program called 'Picture
>> Project'.
>> Until recently I used it under Wine and was pretty happy with it. It
>> worked slow, but it allowed me to enter IPTC information, make basic
>> image changes (brightness, black point compensation, sharpen, rotate,
>> crop) - almost everything I need before exporting to TIF. The exported
>> files were with really good quality - one that I can not achieve with
>> Ufraw or other tools. Unfortunately  I had to delete my .wine dir and
>> now I can't install Picture Project anymore - it asks for a product
>> key?! How is that I don't know - it used to be a free program... or
>> was it a trial version?
>> Anyway, this product isn't maintained by Nikon any longer. Now they
>> offer ViewNX, which doesn't work under Wine (installs fine, but
>> crashes when you try to do anything with it). Capture NX requires .NET
>> and is not working too, neither under Wine, nor under Mono or pnet. Is
>> not free either and I don't like to use illegal software.
>> So now I am in trouble!
>> I know about Ufraw and I use it, but the results I am achieving with
>> it are not so good as they were with the Nikon utility.
>> I found this too: and
>> thought that I could give the Photoshop "Camera Raw" plug-in a try,
>> but unfortunately this isn't working for me too - I am on Gentoo  and
>> in order to compile  pspi  I need the PhotoshopAPI, which was
>> distributed with Photoshop 6.0 only and as you may guess I don't have
>> it, it is not available on the net anymore too.
>> I know I could install a virtual machine and a whole Window$ on top of
>> it and and.... no thanks.
>> Please help!!! How do you deal with this situation?
>> Any help will be greatly  appreciated!!!
>> Greetings,
>> Peter
> Rawstudio and Rawtherapee are two more options for converting raw files
> under Linux. I've tried both and personally prefer the latter (2.4). I
> assume they have support for .NEFs.
> Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I have tried Rawstudio, but it gave me bad results, al least with NEF
I din't knew about Rawtherapee, I will try it. But as I see it is based
on DCraw for reading the input file. As far as I know DCraw and Ufraw
are very similar, so this solution is maybe similar to using Ufraw as
Gimp plug-in, but I will not talk anymore until I try it for real.

Thanks and greetings!