Is there anyone here, who has a Nikon DSLR and is shooting in RAW? If
yes - how do you deal with your .NEF images?

On a CD that came with my camera there was a program called 'Picture
Until recently I used it under Wine and was pretty happy with it. It
worked slow, but it allowed me to enter IPTC information, make basic
image changes (brightness, black point compensation, sharpen, rotate,
crop) - almost everything I need before exporting to TIF. The exported
files were with really good quality - one that I can not achieve with
Ufraw or other tools. Unfortunately  I had to delete my .wine dir and
now I can't install Picture Project anymore - it asks for a product
key?! How is that I don't know - it used to be a free program... or was
it a trial version?
Anyway, this product isn't maintained by Nikon any longer. Now they
offer ViewNX, which doesn't work under Wine (installs fine, but crashes
when you try to do anything with it). Capture NX requires .NET and is
not working too, neither under Wine, nor under Mono or pnet. Is not free
either and I don't like to use illegal software.

So now I am in trouble!

I know about Ufraw and I use it, but the results I am achieving with it
are not so good as they were with the Nikon utility.

I found this too: http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/pspi.html and
thought that I could give the Photoshop "Camera Raw" plug-in a try, but
unfortunately this isn't working for me too - I am on Gentoo  and in
order to compile  pspi  I need the PhotoshopAPI, which was distributed
with Photoshop 6.0 only and as you may guess I don't have it, it is not
available on the net anymore too.

I know I could install a virtual machine and a whole Window$ on top of
it and and.... no thanks.

Please help!!! How do you deal with this situation?

Any help will be greatly  appreciated!!!