This might sound really stupid but it has been bugging me for days.  To start
I'm using version 2.6.3 on windows.  I went to click on ruler and when I did I
also held down the ctrl key.  I realized that I was picking up the horizontal
and vertical rulers.  I let go of it onto the image and got a circle with
dashes and a 1 beside it but no rulers.  Did it again and there was a 2 beside
it.  I can't for the life of me figure out what this is for and have looked
everywhere to find out.  What is this for?

Thanks to whomever responds.

--
Paul G.