I have just discovered an additional -- but exactly the same basic
subject -- problem with this dialog box:

The 'link' symbol at the top, between the two pixel sizes, reverts every
single time to "linked" status.  It seems that it has to be "unlinked"
every time if you wish to change only one of the dimensions of the canvas.

Again, is there a way to get Gimp to remember this setting (either
permanently or per-session)?

I would have assumed that there is an rc file(s) somewhere that contains
every conceivable dialog box setting/value.