Leon Brooks wrote:

> Here on Mandriva Linux (KDE 4) I can use KCharSelect
> to choose the letter, then copy/paste that into GIMP's
> text tool.

In Windows the parallel technique works, too. One can open the Windows
application, "Character map", select a character, and copy it into the
dialog. So, until this issue is finally resolved, I'll use the more
appropriate of two work-arounds. If I need only a character or two, I'll
use the "copy from charmap" method; if I need more, I'll prepare my text
in a word processor which exports graphics, and import the graphics file
exported from that into GIMP.