Hi Ryan, GimpUsers:

RK> Thanks.  I saw that option.  Actually, 1:2 or 1:3 would be great, but 1:1
RK> doesn't work for what I am doing.  Is there no other way?  1:1 would be too
RK> big for my screen and I would still have to manually adjust the window size.

I'm not sure you can get exactly what you want in one step. If the
"Initial Zoom Ratio" doesn't have the desired answer, maybe another
tack might be to checkout the Zoom menu item ("+", "-", "0") on the
Image View menu. You could open the image and then hit the "+" or "-"
to adjust the image quickly.

There is also the Zoom Tool in the Toolbox.

In Addition
Notice that Zoom In and Zoom Out have shortcut keys (-, +, 1). I
actually changed the "+" to "=", and the "1" to "0", so I didn't have
to hit the shift key, and all the keys were together on the right side
of the keyboard.

You can get to the Shortcut keys via the Image Window, Edit/Keyboard
Shortcuts or Edit/Preferences, Interface, "Configure Keyboard
Shortcuts". I have the "Use dynamic keyboard shortcuts" set, which
allows the user to change a menu shortcut key when the menu item is

Hope that helps.