Hi David, gimpusers,

>> with any alternate key (shift, ctrl, alt). What is the best (fastest
>> :-)) way to get to, or position yourself, to the resource?
> Resource tagging is intended to address this problem. Have you tried
> it? You can assign tags to any resource using the bottom input field
> in the relevant dialog, and filter by tags using the top input field
> in the relevant dialog. (but not currently in the tool-options
> popup.. you must be using the full dockable, eg. Gradients,
> Patterns, Brushes in order to use this.)

I'm not aware of this feature.  By "full dockable" do you mean the
items under Windows > Dockable Dialogs?

For example, I went to Windows > Dockable Dialogs > Gradients, and it
looks like Figure 14.39 on this page.
http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-gradient-dialog.html
I don't see any input text field.  I've scanned the documentation on
this page, and my eyes aren't catching it %-)  Do you see it in the
documentation, if so, could you please point me to it.  Or, can you
elaborate a bit more on what I'm doing wrong.

>> For example:
>>   Text Tool
>>   Click on Font Icon
>>   The active font is Arial and I want to get to Tahoma.
> Why can't you simply use the scrollbar to get near to the right
> place in a matter of 5 seconds? I can. I agree that the preview of
> fonts is comparitively sluggish VS eg. gradients or patterns. I
> think the previews should be calculated in idle time, so that
> scrolling and selection can be instant.
> David

You are right. For whatever reason the scroll bar isn't smooth and not
very accurate. The Text, including Font Selection Dialog, is the
worse. I find myself pulling down, oopps, pull up, oopps, pull down.
That's why I thought if there was some key-combination that would at
least get me in the vicinity, it might help. I'm been adding a lot of
brushes, palettes, and patterns. And thinking ahead, if I keep adding
more, will this get worse. How will I find things, and get to them or
get near them, as quickly as possible.

Side track
~~~~~~~~~~

Windows > Dockable Dialogs is one way, but I often get to these
Dialogs from the Tool Options Dialog. For example, I click the Blend
Tool, click the image next to the label "Gradient:", and then click,
"Open the gradient selection dialog" on the lower-right.

A while back, I read a tutorial about rearranging GIMP's interface,
and up to now it's worked nicely. Most of the time I have 2 Windows, 1
is the image and the other is everything else. On the top I have all
the Tools. In fact, I added more, by going to Windows > Dockable
Dialogs > Tools, and clicked the eye/visibility next to all except 2
(Threshold and GEGL Operations).

I also added the 3 items from Edit > Preference Toolbox.

In the lower half of the Toolbox I docked everything in this order:
Layers, Channels, Paths, History, Pointer Info, Brush Dialog,
Palettes, Patterns, Gradients, Options.  I like things visible at this
stage of the game.

I did follow Akkana Peck's suggestions at,
http://gimpbook.com/tips.html, to get rid of wilbur.  That was
precious space regained.

If the images hide the toolbox, I click ctrl-b. If I lose the image, I
double click the Active Image to bring up the Active Image Dialog to
raise the image.

After writing this, it dawned on me that I have Edit > Preference >
Tool Options, "Paint Options Shared Between Tools" selected, so I
actually could just preset the values by clicking the tabs that I have
docked. Live and learn :-)

Thank you.