Hi Greg, GimpUsers,

> Trying to get the second picture done and it keeps getting "squashed". That
> is, my short plump bird is now tall and thin.  Any thoughts?

I haven't followed all the responses to this thread, but take a gander
at these two items, depending on which action is occurring:

Scale - "You can set the Width and the Height you want to give to your
image by adding or removing pixels. If the chain icon next to the
Width and Height boxes is unbroken, the Width and Height will stay in
the same proportion to each other. If you break the chain by clicking
on it, you can set them independently, but this will distort the
image."
http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-image-scale.html

Crop - Aspect Ratio
http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-tool-crop.html