Hello,

Hoping someone can help resolve this problem.  I have done searches of
archives and web sites without much luck.  I know this version is a
little old, but I don't have any  control over updating the
installation.  My problem is related to gimp (2.2.17).  I can start gimp
from an nfs export with no problems.  I get the GUI, but when I select
file/open, the application crashes with the following error:
++++++++++++++++++++
 > /<path>/gimp
process 8788: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to
read machine uuid: Failed to open
"<path>/packages/dbus10/var/lib/machine-id": No such file or directory
See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
 D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
/<path>/bin/gimp: terminated: Aborted

(script-fu:8966): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: wire_read(): error
+++++++++++++++++++

I can use the same nfs export from a different system and use gimp just
fine without any errors or crashing.  This is the same OS, same export,
same user account.  The conf files in /etc/dbus-1/ appear to be
identical between these two systems.  The only differences that I can
find between the system gimp works on and the system gimp does not work
on are the patch levels.  They are both RHEL 4 EL x86_64 servers.  The
one that works is at 2.6.9-67.ELsmp, the one that fails is at
2.6.9-34.ELsmp.  Due to software support issues, I cannot simply update
the system that is not working.  I did update the dbus rpm and rebooted,
so that it matched the good system, but that did not fix the problem.
Another strange clue is that I can start the application when appending
the data file, get directly to the data file without crashing gimp.  For
instance, I can run "/<path>/gimp file1.tif", without any errors.  As
soon as I need to do a file/open, the application and data file close.
I am using the "/<path>/gimp file1.tif" for a work-around at the
moment.  Could anyone help shed some light on this issue of why Gimp
crashes as soon as I select file/open?  What is it that gimp needs that
is causing the crash?

Thanks in advance,
Steve D.