On Monday 03 August 2009 09:32:21 am Steven M. Dodier wrote:
> Hello,
> Hoping someone can help resolve this problem.  I have done
> searches of archives and web sites without much luck.  I know
> this version is a little old, but I don't have any  control over
> updating the installation.  My problem is related to gimp
> (2.2.17).  I can start gimp from an nfs export with no problems.
> I get the GUI, but when I select file/open, the application
> crashes with the following error: ++++++++++++++++++++
>  > /<path>/gimp
> process 8788: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up;
> failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open
> "<path>/packages/dbus10/var/lib/machine-id": No such file or
> directory See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this
> issue. D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a
> backtrace /<path>/bin/gimp: terminated: Aborted
> (script-fu:8966): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: wire_read():
> error +++++++++++++++++++
> I can use the same nfs export from a different system and use
> gimp just fine without any errors or crashing.  This is the same
> OS, same export, same user account.  The conf files in
> /etc/dbus-1/ appear to be identical between these two systems.
> The only differences that I can find between the system gimp
> works on and the system gimp does not work on are the patch
> levels.  They are both RHEL 4 EL x86_64 servers.  The one that
> works is at 2.6.9-67.ELsmp, the one that fails is at
> 2.6.9-34.ELsmp.  Due to software support issues, I cannot simply
> update the system that is not working.  I did update the dbus rpm
> and rebooted, so that it matched the good system, but that did
> not fix the problem. Another strange clue is that I can start the
> application when appending the data file, get directly to the
> data file without crashing gimp.  For instance, I can run
> "/<path>/gimp file1.tif", without any errors.  As soon as I need
> to do a file/open, the application and data file close. I am
> using the "/<path>/gimp file1.tif" for a work-around at the
> moment.  Could anyone help shed some light on this issue of why
> Gimp crashes as soon as I select file/open?  What is it that gimp
> needs that is causing the crash?
> Thanks in advance,
> Steve D.

Since you do not have control over your networked copy of Gimp I
suggest another route. As I recall the self loading Debian system
called Knoppix contains a fairly recent copy of Gimp.  You download
the cdr image, burn it on a disk and then whenever you need to use
Gimp just pop in the disk and wait for it to load. You can still
access and save files on your hard disk.  This bypasses the NFS
facility entirely and gives you a more up to date copy of Gimp.

If you can't burn an iso image on your system then you can buy a
Knoppix disk mail order for about $10.
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95