The book "Beginning GIMP" by Akkana Peck is really good and always close
by me when I'm using Gimp...which is pretty often these days. Akkana
shows a lot of examples in her book and explains them in a way that is
easy to understand. You can quickly be using the same techniques and
will feel like a pro. For example I wanted to show someone the
measurements of a large mug I was using to lather my shaving soap in. I
photographed the mug and added lines and text layers by the lines to
show approximate diameter and a few other measurements. It took about 10
minutes and the result was an instantly usable photo for a potter. I
learned how to do it by checking Akkana's book. It has a reasonably good
index and you can quickly find the subject of interest.

Bob

Sent on a rainy, humid, Maryland morning. I'm located on roughly the
middle of the U. S. east coast. Our main export seems to be politics.