This is an interesting question also to me.

David Gowers wrote:

> No, if you turn off View->Dot for dot then the DPI relative to your
> display DPI is used to scale your view of the image.

That much I had already found; but still, when I open a file that has
been scaled only in resolution (for instance 300->700), still the
different imageviewers display the same image.

I know that this is not a Gimp related question, and I feel that the
Gimp's approach is correct; but still I don't understand the whole
resolution thing completely. I take it many imageviewers simply don't
have the capability of taking the resolution into consideration, when
rendering an image. I'm I right?