I don't know how else to express it, but I'm running a fresh install of Gimp
2.7.1.  The freshness because I just installed Ubuntu-Studio as a fresh
install, so had to install 2.7.1 also freshly.

Everything appears to be working except that when I want to enter text, I
select the text tool with my mouse pointer, draw a box on the canvas, I can
double click in the box, but no insertion cursor appears.  Further, if I try
to type anything, other tools are highlighted (letter E activates the elipse
selection tool, for example).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Oh, one more thing, how can I enter text the old way instead of using the on
canvas option?  I've made this selection, but don't remember how I got there.

Caruso

--
Carusoswi (via www.gimpusers.com)