>The text tool is still a work in progress, as everything in GIMP 2.7. I
guess
>the current state has not been merged to the git master. as for now you
need
>to select the text layer in the layers dialog, then click the text on the
>canvas. No cursor is shown, but you can remove and write text. you can also
>double click a word to select it. There are some more bugs currently i
>guess... If text sunndely disappears or is duplicated you can use CTRL+Z to
>undo it and continue the work then.

I certainly understand and expect a few problems when I install the unstable
version of the software.  I had (I believe) downloaded the necessary files
from GetDeb when I originally installed 2.7 on my 9.04 version of
UbuntuStudio.  It seemed to be working fine as late as last weekend, except
that the text on canvas box would grey out and hide your typing.  Then, Ubuntu
tempted me to upgrade, and, in the process, I broke my install.  I had already
downloaded the US DVD, so decided to upgrade to 9.10.  Then, found that things
have changed over at GetDeb, so that I had to get Gimp 2.7 via another method.
 I don't know if it's slightly different, or if there is something about
UbuntuStudio 9.10 that is slightly different, or if I'm doing something
wrong.

Fortunately, 2.6 runs just fine, and I can certainly live with it until these
problems, whatever their source, get resolved.

Thanks for the replies.

Caruso

--
Carusoswi (via www.gimpusers.com)