Quoting vr <gimp-u...@iotk.net>:

> Oops, after poking around a bit more I realize now that the actual crop
> tool's selector is more friendly than the selection tool selector for what
> I'm trying to do. I guess the real question I'm asking is how do you get
> the selection tool to operate like the crop tools selector? Meaning, not go
> outside the perimeter of the layer you want to select within?

I don't believe that is currently possible. If your layer is
completely opaque, you could perform a "Layer->Transparency->Intersect
with selection" after having making your selection (this will "trim"
the selection to lie within the layer's borders).

The following script may prove a slightly better solution, as it will
also work with non-opaque layers. The command appears as "Within
Layer" under the Select Menu. (Note: if there is no selection when the
script is run, the entire layer will be selected.)

http://www.flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/GIMP/Scripts/sg-select-within-layer.scm