Thanks for the replies.  Will check out some of the converters in the links -
following that first one
(http://tiff.software.informer.com/download-tiff-to-dxf-convert-linux) seemed
only to show Linux solutions, but I haven\'t checked it that carefully.

My real problem here is the way the proprietary piece of software handles the
drawings.  I am evaluating several software packages, and, while this one
seems best for my task needs, it is the worst in terms of handling drawings,
and I have made my feelings known to the vendor.  Other offerings in this area
can \"import\" these large tiffs a hundred at a time without blinking an eye
on my dual-core machine, and both I and the vendor know that this is a
weakness in what would otherwise be the ultimate package for what I do in my
work.

I need to run this application on more than one machine in our office, and,
while adding memory may be an option on my machine, it is not an option on all
of the ones that need to use the application.

Gimp may not be the best tool for the job, but, I\'m thinking that, if I can
accomplish the conversion without pain in PS7, then, Gimp 2.6 is probably also
up to the task - I must be doing something wrong.  I don\'t have Scribus on my
office machine (it\'s running XP), but I have InDesign and, as mentioned,
PS7.

I already have solutions that work - just wondered if I could accomplish the
same using Gimp.

Since I\'m working in scale, it is important for me to keep the original
resolution.  When I convert these tiffs using PS7, the resultant pdf requires
significantly less drive space, and its scale (measured via the application)
seems to have remain unchanged.

Without the conversion, five or six images will slow the application to the
point that it is not useable.  With the conversion, it will run fine with 20
or so drawings (still not acceptable, but better).

Gimp was successful in making the conversion, but the pdf was too fuzzy to be
read on the screen.

Caruso

--
Carusoswi (via www.gimpusers.com)