>> I need to read up on the GIMP documentation regarding PNG quality
>> settings. Mine are apparently too high.

you may always use maximum compression doesn't change quality

on RGB images usually png have a quite bigger file size then jpg, but if
indexed file size should be not bigger of a corresponding gif

BUT in the past i had problem to save on gimp -windows indexed png, for some
reason file size was not different then saving them as rgb.

Not sure if that was a issues of whatever version of gimp i was using
then,now i found quicker do all scaling and conversion with Xnview

(that on windows is the tool for the trade, a bit as imagemagick on linux,
but offer also a friendly interface...alas is not free source, just free )

--
photocomix (via www.gimpusers.com)