On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Leon Brooks
<leon-g...@cyberknights.com.au> wrote:
> If the image is text or something else essentially
> monochrome

Or image->mode, bitmap, 1-bit palette should drastically reduce the
file size.  I suspect that the 'line art' setting in xsane is
producing a grayscale image but with each pixel either solid black or
solid white, which would make the resulting PNG easy to compress.
Rotating likely causes many pixels to become shades of gray along the
edges and increasing the file size.

My scanner is dead or I'd test this out myself.

Not sure on the increase when saving the image as-is - are all of the
'Save Comment', 'Save Creation', etc. boxes unchecked in the PNG save
dialog?

Chris