On 10/11/2010 08:09 PM, David Cooney wrote:

Hello List - I recently downloaded the GIMP2.6 and have been playing with it in an attempt to modify some existing pictures and generally play with the outcome. Kind of like Mr. Potato Head (hopefully you know what that is) , I am trying to take a part of one picture, say the nose, and transpose it to another picture; or perhaps the lips, eyes, etc. Once I have one aspect copied on the other picture I get stuck making it happen, both in context and melding of image sizes and a “seamless” transition. Could you refer me to the right tutorial, or provide me a facile method to perform this feature using GIMP? Also, how do you rectify the image size so that if the pictures are of different sizes the transposed part looks of appropriate dimension to the host picture.

I very much appreciate your time and any input you might afford me.

The right way to do it is to keep all the added bits in their own layer until the end. Layers can be moved, scaled and rotated around with the move, scale and rotate tools in the tools palette. You can combine move and scale quite seamlessly (but if anyone knows how to rotate at the same time, I'll be glad to hear it).

Seamless transition between layers is achieved by gradual transparency on the edges. The easy way to achieve it is to "feather" the selection on a couple of pixels when you copy/paste. A more complete way is to use layer masks that give you full control of the amount of transparency of all pixels in a layer. Basicall you add a mask to the layer in the layers dialog and click on it to make the editable thing. Wherever you apply black the layer image is transparent and where it's white the layer is opaque. You can of course use various levels of grey... so you can literally paint transparency.

--
Ofnuts