This is brilliant (and should be a standard feature in Gimp).  Just
added this script to Gimp and it works like a charm ... thus far.  There
is, however, an interesting dynamic to this script.

If layer 1 is visible, but layer 2 is not visible, and both are linked,
then merging them results in the non-visible layer becoming visible (but
only after another layer has been clicked on).

I'm not sure whether or not this is a good or bad thing; I'm
undecided...