On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 04:24 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 4/19/11, Leonard Evens wrote:
> > I keep posing questions about this but so far I haven't gotten a useful
> > response.
>
> You think reference to LensFun is not useful?

I don't remember being told about this.

But it turns out that I had a lensfun library installed.  I didn't have
the actual plug-in.  So I compiled it and put the plug-in in my personal
plug-in directory.  It seems to work quite well.  It examines the exif
entry to determine the lens and lens setting.

What I don't understand is how I managed to have the library installed
without the plugin.

> > P.S.   I understand that ahd I shot raw with my Nikon,  I might have
> > been able to do the correction more easily using ufraw.   Also, it might
> > be possible using hugin to correct the distortion.  But I would like to
> > be able to do it with gimp if I can.
>
> http://lensfun.sebastiankraft.net/
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine
> http://libregraphicsworld.org

Added later.  One t hing was clarified but adds another mystery.  I was
misled by  the black columns in the image.  After the distortion is eliminated
the sides of the columns are vertical, a s the should be, but the highlighted
lines
one the columns are still curved.  That was what was confusing me.

The still unresolved question is where those highlighted lines on the columns
came
from.