>It turned out that my crashes were caused by having too many old
>versions of the C++ runtime library hanging around.  Once I fixed this
>problem and recompiled, everything was happy.

I recomiled using compaq's cxx compiler for alpha linux (actually hoping
for better optimisation using compaq's extended math libraries), and now
resynthesizer runs without any errors (although not particularly faster)
Perhaps the problem is not in the code but the fact that some of our c++
compilers aren't quite configured right, and since we don't use c++ very
often (I don't see any files in the gimp source writen in c++), we don't
notice it.

-James Smaby