On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 01:12:57AM +0200, Ingo Ruhnke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well, I don't know how small or large a guile interface would be, but
> it would have the advantage that it would be a full featured
> programming language and it would probably offer accessing guile-gtk,
> to create customized user-interfaces.

Yes, bnut there is no difference to python or perl in that respect. And
there are a *lot* more perl installations then python (or guile).

No, the only (but for me important) advantage of script-fu (siod) over ANY
other interface (except C) is that it needs no external dependencies and
(in the case of guile) unusual dependencies.

> The current SIOD implementation which is used for Script-Fu is missing
> a lot of features and differs heavily from R5RS, so the user has to
> learn not only how to programm gimp, but also how to use SIOD, even if
> he is already familar with Scheme.

That's true. Consider it Script-Fu, instead of Scheme-Fu ;-)

My only point is that script-fu, as it is, is valuable since you can
depend on it to be there. It would, however, be a lot more useful if the
obvious problems with its implementation were solved, after which it
became truly useful.