xfstt likes the true type fonts to be in /usr/share/fonts/truetype.
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11 fonts seems to be the best place for the type 1
guys.  I had to get xfstt going in root and then restarting my xsession
would get the truetype working, as I told it in my .xsession file.
After the new xsession was going, a ps -ax would show two xfstt
entries.  It drove my brother crazy to see it, but it always worked
then.

Your nose types just fine.  Perhaps you should let it take over with the
font installation!

--
    __  __
 __|  \/  |___   If the facts don't fit the theory,