[EMAIL PROTECTED] (2000-11-13 at 1629.40 -0700):
> I have a small layer sitting on top of the stack. I would like to
> "fade" the image contained in that layer, left to right, so that one
> side (the right side) is completely opaque and the other side (the,
> er, left side, I guess) is completely transparent.

I think what you need is a layer mask. It the appears as another
thumbnail near the layer it is attached too. It works as a gray image,
deciding what is trasparent and what not. Search the docs about how to
use layer masks, or Grokking the Gimp site, it is a tech used a lot
for logos and compositions.

GSR