Hi Doc,

Right click on the layer in the layers dialog, create
layer mask.  Edit that, then right click on layer and
apply layer mask.

Alternately, click on the quick mask selection, and
draw a black-white gradient across the mask.  Quick
mask back to selection, and cut.

I'd also suggest checking out
http://www.gimp-savvy.com if you are looking for a
more approachable manual.  The author has really done
an excellent job on this book (you may consider buying
it even after viewing it online in its entirety).

Happy GIMPing,
Seth Burgess
[EMAIL PROTECTED]