On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 5:24 AM, Michael Schumacher <schum...@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 31.12.2013 11:39, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM, Scott Ritchie wrote:
>
> >> second website
> >> http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
> >
> > This is the recommend location for downloading, and for Windows users
> > we don't show MD5 or stuff. The download link is quite obvious.
> >
> > It _could_ be a button indeed. Something to work on in due time.
>
> What has to be considered here is the overwhelming number of
> button-look-a-likes that lead users to malicious copies of the software
> they want - we should not contribute to this automatic behavior, if is
> one of the reasons why we left SF, after all.
>
> I'd suggest that we make 'Download GIMP 2.8.10' a link to the HTTP url
> as well, and keep the rest as-is.

The organization of the page seems a bit dated or biased.  The users most
likely to actually want to download are Windows and MacOS X users (since
Linux users are more likely to use their distribution's packaging system),
and those links are hidden behind a "Show other downloads" link.  That makes
it non-obvious for those users.

-Shawn

--
Shawn T. Amundson