I did look into the DIR-SEPARATOR (DIR_SEPARATOR on python?) constant. It did not appear to be documented anywhere in the gimp docs that I could find with a search engine. From an old scheme script I found posted I was able to find the following:

The DIR-SEPARATOR constant appears to be just a "/" on platforms where the OS is Linux and "\" on platforms where the OS is Windows. The following is pasted from a Script-Fu Console and a Python-Fu Console (Linux).

**** Script-Fu Console*

Welcome to TinyScheme
Copyright (c) Dimitrios Souflis
Script-Fu Console - Interactive Scheme Development

> (string-append "Yaba" DIR-SEPARATOR "Daba" DIR-SEPARATOR "Doo")

GIMP 2.8.10 Python Console
Python 2.7.5 (default, Feb 11 2014, 10:29:30)
[GCC 4.8.2 20131212 (Red Hat 4.8.2-7)]
>>> import os
>>> print os.sep
>>> from gimpfu import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'DIR_SEPARATOR' is not defined
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'DIR' is not defined
>>> if DIR_SEPARATOR == "/":
...     print "YES"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'DIR_SEPARATOR' is not defined

In python, os.sep does the same job that we would expect from
what we see in the scheme example except it has the following

1. It is documented
2. It has a wide user base, so it should be robust
3. It works in any python shell, so you can debug programs using wide
   range of tools.
4. It works.

It seems like os.sep would be a much better design choice **IF** we actually needed to determine a platform portable directory separator. As far as I can tell, we don't.

In the code I use python functions that take care of the separator.
srcFile = os.path.join(srcPath, srcFile)
Python sticks in the right separator for the host OS.

From my point of view, it seems like using the DIR_SEPARATOR and manually concatenating strings would make the code clumsy. I did not see anywhere where knowing what the separator character was would be
an advantage.

I wanted to keep the focus of the tutorial on Automation and not get sidetracked too much on design and architecture. It is worth while to note that if you can design a block of code (like that does not use the gimpfu library, you can run it on any python shell and use any debugging tools at your disposal. This is a real advantage over debugging in Gimp. So I view using a gimp constant instead of a python library function (os.sep) as kind of a mistake.

Please let me know if I missed something.