Thank you all for your comments.

There seems to be some interest and certainly agreement on just
"for testing"/"temporary" and the limits on cloud infrastructure
in relation to things as Hadoop, ZooKeeper and Giraph.

I also agree that, given Whirr can already spin Hadoop clusters,
user can run Giraph that way.

Whirr option might become more interesting in relation to YARN
and perhaps unit/integration testing (although, I am not sure
if/who is willing to put a credit card that). Fortunately, Giraph
tests run reasonably well and quickly locally.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on WHIRR-530 and as I learn more about
Giraph and Whirr help that if I can. Personally, I am more
interested in YARN and Giraph than Giraph in its current shape.
Or, in orther words, in the future of Giraph rather than in the
past (i.e. backward compatibility/legacy) (although, I am aware
you have that in your mind as well and it seems to me there are
already Giraph users, so...)

Thanks,
Paolo