Hi all,
I'm a new Giraph user, and I'm facing a similar situation. My input graph
is basically in the form of edges defined simply as a source and
destination pair (optionally there could be an edge value). And these edges
might be distributed across multiple files (this is actually a format I've
seen in several graph data sets).

Without having looked at the internals of Giraph, I originally imagined
that creating a MutableVertex and calling addVertexRequest for both
vertices in an edge and addEdgeRequest from within the VertexReader would
do the trick.

Now, this doesn't really work since there needs to be a graph state created
in advance. The graph state is not created until all vertices have been

There's also another implication with potentially multiple workers trying
to create the same vertex, but I think a vertex resolver can handle this,
assuming the resolver is instantiated before the vertices are loaded.

Is there a workaround to do this currently apart from pre-processing the
graph? Do you think it would be useful to have such functionality? I think
it makes sense to handle graph mutations either at the very beginning or
during a execution in a uniform way. By the way, I'd be interested in
contributing to the project.

Looking forward to your response!