Dear GKD Members,

My comments refuting this paper are interspersed within the text. I do
not believe that it is appropriate to allow such pseudoscience to go
unchallenged.

regards
derek

On Thu, 10-13-2005, Dr Richard Heeks wrote:

> Free and Open Source Software: A Blind Alley for Developing Countries?

> There is considerable interest in the "e-development" community about
> FOSS: free and open source software. It is argued to be cheaper and
> more customisable than proprietary software; it is argued to be a
> potential kick-starter for the local IT industry; it merits a mention in
> the WSIS Plan of Action. So what is its likely trajectory?

Here is the stated objective of this paper, to determine the trajectory
of FOSS, by which the author presumably means the direction and speed
rather than its path through space, although this is a sufficiently
obscure analogy that it is already subject to interpretation. I will
interpret it to mean will FOSS grow and will it grow rapidly, or will it
stagnate or shrink...something like that.

> We can turn first to historical evidence because we have been here
> before.  In the 1980s, "shareware" - FOSS' forerunner - was a temporary
> source of excitement for exactly the same reasons; even attracting the
> attention of the World Bank.  Yet the developmental equation for
> shareware was "Impact = Zero".

This is the first example of classical pseudoscience. The approach goes
as follows. Find something that is totally unrelated, but that sounds
similar, and use what ever happened with it to argue that the same thing
will happen with the thing we are discussing. This type of fallacious
argument is used often in so-called creation science. It is a vacuous
and meaningless argument although it often sounds clever and convincing.
Shareware has nothing to do with FOSS, it is proprietary software, which
is actually the opposite of FOSS. Logically, the failure of shareware to
dominate the world is a failure of a particular model of distribution of
proprietary software. Do I need to explain more fully why arguing that
proprietary software represents FOSS is fallacious? I hope not!!

> What of the evidence today?  A recent survey on our eGovernment for
> Development Information Exchange plus survey data from Africai suggest
> at most 5% of computer systems in developing countries have any open
> source software running on them, and that is almost entirely represented
> by Linux.  Even in Cuba, where the US embargo should make conditions
> highly propitious, proprietary software dominates.

This is another logically fallacious means of argument. Selecting a
particular indicator of current state of a system to argue that the
state will not be different is again pseudo science, but a clever style
of argument whose logical fallacy is not always obvious. When the
automobile was just coming out, the state was that the penetration of
automobiles was low, yet look at automobiles today. Accepting this
argument is accepting that we cannot change things. However, it does do
one thing for sure, and that is it alerts us that we need to create the
push and pull that does lead to change.

> Because of piracy and the limited size of initial purchase price within
> total cost of software ownership, there is no clear, general evidence of
> FOSS delivering cost savings.  Because, by and large, FOSS means Linux,
> the benefits of customisation and IT industry kick-start are also
> nebulous.

This is another pseudoscientific argument, although I am struggling to
categorize it in relation to known logical fallacies. However, the
argument goes like this: since most people break the law, there is no
obvious benefit of obeying the law. OK. Another erroneous proposition:
FOSS means Linux! Once you assert this, then you can ignore everything
else, and just concentrate on Linux (GNU/Linux please).  This is another
common pseudoscience argument technique: make a false assertion that
people will probably believe, and then lead the reader into ever more
false conclusions by derivign other assertions from the false one.

> The lack of strong evidence of FOSS benefits helps explain its lack of
> success vis-a-vis proprietary products.

How did we get here? What is the lack of strong evidence? No evidence of
absence has been presented yet in this paper. This is again another
pseudoscience argument technique. Make an assertion that may sound
believable if you accept the previous fallacious arguments, and derive
the argument further on that basis. Folks, learn to see this type of
arument for what it is, a deliberate attempt to put forward a point of
view that is unsupported by the evidence. When evidence exists, one
doesn't have to use these well known tricks. There is another
pseudoscience trick here as well, the attempt to use absence of evidence
as if it were evidenve of absence. It is known that despite the obvious
fallacy of this trick, most people don't pick it up! Hence, despite the
fact that it is well known, clever pseudoscience users often use it.
They believe that they will get away with it.

> In particular, proprietary software may not be open source but it is
> certainly free for the great majority of developing country users,
> thanks to piracy.

Thanks to piracy!!!! While I do not support the term piracy, I do belive
that statements of this nature are just plain foolish.

> Other key factors uncovered include: Lack of awareness of FOSS: the
> African evidence suggests most IT managers simply don't know about it.

No evidence of this lack of knowledge is presented. An opinion is
presented as though it is an incontrovertable fact. Indeed, it is my
experience that most IT managers do know about FOSS, it is their client
community of users who need education. So I would like to see the
evidence of this lack of knowledge in the managers. It may well be true.

> Poor international links: to work effectively with open source code you
> need to be part of an active, global community of like-minded
> developers; links to such communities from developing countries are
> weak.

This is true of developers, networking is vital. But there are lots of
other ways in which FOSS gets deployed in the developing world besides
development. I would argue that those developers who are involved in
FOSS are very well linked internationally, and that there is a large
diaspora community out there as well, but that is experience based and
may be a subjective interpretation on my part. It ignores the fact that
the IT private sector has begun to market FOSS, especially the expansion
of companies like IBM, Oracle, HP, Novell and Sun Microsystems into
FOSS, and the arrival on the scene of initiatives like Ubuntu, and the
recent acquisition of majority shares in Impi linux by Canonical.  As
the founder of the AVOIR project, we have a rapidly growing network of
African Free Software developers that is very well connected
internationally, and we can show measurable impact in proportion to our
scale of operation.

> Donors have moved in with interventions to support FOSS, as recently
> seen in Tanzania with the development of Jambo Office.  Yet such efforts
> are found to make little impact.  To date, they have been amateurish;
> focusing on the techies who write the code, and failing to introduce a
> business focus that would draw in needed market research, marketing,
> distribution and support skills.

Please provide some evidence of this. I have only experienced very
dedicated professionals who are on the path mentioned, but not yet
there. It is usually not possible to finish a journey in the same step
used to start it unless it is a very short journey, but oops...maybe I
am resorting to personal experience to refute this claim. I may be
wrong, but then, no evidence for this claim has been provided either.

> As so often, too, donor FOSS projects have been short-terms flares of
> interest rather than the required sustained efforts.  They are no match
> for proprietary firms who are in for the long-haul, and who will use the
> carrot of low pricing and the stick of anti-piracy actions to achieve
> their aims.

Another logically fallacious argumenty...few donor-funded projects are
intended to compete with proprietary firms. The argument sounds so good
that its vacuousness is easily overlooked.

> Even the potential "backfire" of anti-piracy actions, leading
> organisations to abandon their pirated proprietary products and adopt
> FOSS instead, seems exaggerated. Microsoft and the Indonesian police
> recently launched a crackdown on cybercafes. As could be predicted, many
> owners changed over to FOSS. However, users then stopped coming to those
> cybercafes because of their unfamiliarity with the software. Soon after,
> the pirated products were back in place.

Here is a very good example of a pseudoscience argument that is also
well known. Link something that is nuanced, without providing the
nuances, and use it to draw the desired conclusion, or create the
desired idea in the mind of the reader. The implied conclusion may in
fact be true, but it cannot be drawn from the evidence presented. Other
conclusions could also be drawn, with equal vacuousness. The devil is in
the detail!

> FOSS' trajectory, then, is intimately bound up to proprietary software,
> especially Microsoft products.

This is a tautology, it is not at all revealing. It could be no other
way, unless everyone were to run a dual boot system, separate all the
FOSS onto one system and all the proprietary software onto the other,
and run each an equal number of times. Given that this is a low
probability, this is tautological.

> At best, FOSS looks like a lever to extract concessions from Microsoft
> and similar vendors. In its present state, FOSS will remain a marginal
> activity that does not deliver on its development promise and that is no
> match for the enduring power and business acumen of major proprietary
> players.

This is an interesting choice of words, it sounds great, but logically,
lets unpack it...in its present state (i.e. ignoring the poor sentence
construction and assuming he means 'if nothing changes')...it goes
like this...If the state of the system remains unchanged, then the
state of the system will be unchanged. Ja, well, no, yes, a definite
probable maybe.

I do believe that people who claim to be presenting research have a
responsibility to do so without resulting to pseudoscience and vacuous
arguments calculated to sound like logic. It wastes a lot of time
otherwise.

Derek Keats,
October 2005
[EMAIL PROTECTED]