Dear Colleagues,

I hear two distinct but complementary points of view. One is that FOSS
has not made much inroad in public commerce and communications, while
the other is that there is a great deal of potential for FOSS in
developing countries.

My own informal research into FOSS usage in sub-Saharan Africa supports
both these points of view. When I visit companies, Internet cafes,
government agencies, schools, and even universities, the vast majority
of desktops are Microsoft Windows and the overwhelming productivity
application of choice is Microsoft Office.

Looking backstage, most commercial and government servers are running
Windows, while -- just like the U.S. -- universites are more likely to
implement FOSS servers where appropriate.

But digging even deeper, we find that there's no substitute for Apache
and a heap of FOSS email systems (even on Windows servers.)

That's not to say that there AREN'T wonderful things happening with FOSS
in Africa! The best examples of such generally come out of universities
(like Derek's project) and projects in the development sector like
SchoolNet Namibia.

So there's no need for a FOSS GOOD/FOSS BAD discussion. (In fact, most
countries where I work already have their fill of such religious
arguments.) There's a greater need for identifying _where_ FOSS is
helping people to become more productive and participate more
meaningfully. Then we need to make strategic determinations about which
realms of ICT in developing countries will best be served by our efforts
to promote FOSS.

At the same time, we have to remember that we're talking about a portion
of the ICT enterprise that typically consumes less than 10% of the
entire budget.

Best regards!

-- Cliff

- - - - -