I have found this dialog regarding E-Readiness and E-Strategies most
enriching and illustrative of the value of the Internet in its power to
facilitate exchange of ideas, thoughts, etc.

Whereas my earlier comments were founded on Adam Lishan's contributions,
this time around I would like to provide some comments relating to
Daniel Taghioff's recent contributions on this topic.  These are not
meant to counter his observations, as they each have value, but perhaps
augment them, and collectively perhaps help shape a more refined
position for all of us.

1. I certainly agree with Daniel's notation that this area needs a
healthy amount of scepticism.  I'd only add, this is not just needed for
this topic of relying on consultants, but many others as well.  I find
few colleagues engaged in this arena that consider themselves,
"experts."  And fewer that aren't still exploring better ways and
approaches for gaining target results we are all after.

2. I don't see this issue of relying on international consultants or
local skills/knowledge base as either mutually exclusive nor and
either-or situation.  It is not.  And with all the focus in recent
months on partnerships, I would like to think we're past this mental
mind-set.  Each of us brings something to the table, something unique
and valuable to the solution set.  And our approach should seek this
broad-based contribution of others.

3. I also don't see the conflict of interest as a key issue with respect
to the desire to consultant's desire to add to his/her knowledge base.
This may be a result of becoming in engaged in various locations over a
period of time, but I've never seen it as primary or even a significant
factor. Rather, my experience has been such that the engagement of the
consultant is much more focused on contributing a value-added element to
the local situation, much more than extracting something from being
engaged.  If this value-added component can be provided by local
expertise, then this is wonderful.

4. I also believe it is important to take into account what has the
highest value, specifically of short term value.  On the one hand it is
critical to build local capacity--it has been a failure of the
international development arena for decades, and certainly not limited
to the ICT arena.  On the other hand there is the need for rapid action
if we are to be effective in closing the "digital divide."  Speed is
important and in my view it is here that outside expertise can have a
beneficial impact in two key areas: a) they do typically bring more
expertise to the table quicker and can capture this in a way that speaks
to those that are positioned to help or be part of the solution, and b)
in that they are typically linked with development organizations that
represent funding sources, frequently the consultant is the entry point
to these agencies for securing followup funding to actually get some
traction in "doing" something.  Again, it's not an either-or, but an
important consideration.

5. I have been engaged in a situation where an ICT Assessment was
carried out by outside international consultants (myself and others)
with one of the key findings being the need to build local human
capacity in IT (it shows up virtually everywhere).  And based on this
assessment, actions were undertaken by a supporting donor agency to add
PCs, networks, and software into key university-level institutions for
the express purpose of upgrading IT curriculum to meet local business
needs.  Other synergistic activities were also impacted by this
assessment whereby now other donors are engaged in this sector--each
adding something of value.  In this case local high tech jobs were going
unfilled because those graduating with IT degrees didn't have the needed
knowledge/skills.  They are gaining them today Again, this is no
either-or, but an example of where one added to the other in a very
short turnaround (months/not years).

6. Another factor in trying to achieve this balance is the challenge of
determining what has priority; a) getting people on the Information
Super Highway as fast as possible so they can gain the advantage of its
richness, or b) building the local capacity required to build an on-ramp
onto the Information Super Highway.  Both are valuable, both are needed,
and neither is exclusive of the other.  However I would caution that if
the latter approach is taken in lieu of the former, there's a danger
that the gap to be closed will be wider by the time the local capacity
is up to speed--developing human resources simply takes time--valuable
that we cannot waste.

7. While I appreciate the need for a reasoned approach as prescribed by
Daniel, I do not think time is on the side of those that are already
side-lined and not participating in this  global ICT dynamic.  Sometimes
I think there's too much intellectual discourse in the development
arena, and too little action.  Not that we should act in haste, or do
stupid things. Quite the opposite.  But I don't think this lack of full
understanding is the critical missing ingredient.  Rather I think we all
too often know what's needed but lack are not successful in mobilizing
the appropriate resources to do it and do it well.  Even the DOT Force
and UN ICT Task Force, after all their positioning and getting ready to
act are now confronted with lack of resources to do what is needed.

Again, I certainly don't have the answers, and simply place my comments
along side Daniels in an effort toward finding a better way of getting
developing countries moving faster such that they are not so
disadvantaged and instead can be major benefactors in this emerging
globalize ICT-enabled environment.

Darrell Owen
Darrell E. Owen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]