Dear Colleagues,

I was interested in the post by Daniel F. Bassill in large part because
his goal is similar to my own and his accomplishments rather modest. The
opportunity to use modern ICT to achieve a breakthrough in the use of
knowledge to improve development performance is huge, but it is not
happening.

There are two big problems: (1) the important information is fragmented
and difficult to use in a coherent manner, and (2) there is no
organization that is willing to put itself on the line to get accounting
and accountability and to use information to improve development
performance.

Accordingly, our group is now trying to build a useful database, in part
using a WiKi technology so that text can be more easily shared, and in
part using MySQL for numbers. The goal is to let people who are doing
worthwhile things to have a way to put their work "on the record".

Related, but not directly linked, is a goal to show how development
resources are flowing, and to highlight excellence in the use of
resources. This is the beginning of a system for universal accounting
and accountability.

A third part of this is to arrange for the database and the information
to be a foundation for fund raising. Obviously this requires a strong
information system so that a good idea does not disintegrate into a
scam.

I liked what the "tutormentor" was writing. And I want to reach out to
people around the world so that the information system is driven by the
SOUTH and not the NORTH.

Sincerely

Peter Burgess
Peter Burgess