Dear GKD Members,

Everything (in developing economies) MUST comply with "sustainable and
appropriate".

In economies where the total number of e-commerce transactions are in
the 1000's there is no point in installing or using any technology that
costs more than a couple of thousand US$. It would not be sustainable.

However, even developing economies are part of the planet. An important
part of their development is to institute systems that will put them in
synch with the rest of planet so that they can trade (and pay off their
debts). The technology would be appropriate.

ALL universisal cyber-security protocols are designed to meet the
specific requirements of developed economies. I can make that statement
because the cost of implementing them usually is un-sustainable.

Furthermore, paranoid legal requirements that have been forced on the
world since 9/11 have made the administrative and other "overheads" on a
transaction so huge that any system would need massive volumes to pay
them off. Developing economies do not have these volumes.

So what do we do? We cannot do nothing. The reason for this is that
crooks always move to the weak point in the system. If the developed
world is successful with their expensive security systems and the weak
point becomes the developing world then they would have succeeded in
exporting fraud, etc. into the developing economies and we would have to
accept that we are, indeed, basket cases. So this is not an option. We
have to find sustainable and appropriate ways of implementing
cyber-security while still using the same systems that everyone else
uses, ie Visa, MasterCard, Sprint, etc.

I like the eBay / reputational suggestion below. The problem is that
eBay does not settle to any developing world. They welcome you as a
buyer, but they will not settle you as a merchant. This is the problem
with private systems. Individuals and profit margins make the rules.

What we have been experimenting with is the "Management of Risk" as
opposed to the "Prevention of Risk". Prevention is proving too expensive
and too high an overhead for our infrastructure. However, with so few
transactions, maybe we can just insure against the risk. Or, maybe,
change our pricing so that we can build up a pool to "fund" risk when it
happens. Believe it or not, this works out much cheaper than
implementing some of the security protocols like EMV, 3D Secure, VbyV,
etc.

There is something we are doing on the "reputational" side. We are
moving away from universal "VeriSign" type certificates and starting to
issue our own, cheaper certificates. This works very well and we have
found that there are very few rejections of these certificates. It is
incumbent on the "Issuer" to ensure that their reputation does not cause
users to reject the certificate.

I would love to hear if anyone has ony other ideas on how to approach
these issues.