Tom, OF COURSE you are correct! The big consuming nations must reduce
consumption and increase conservation (are they the same?). They must
also be of of assistance to the under-consuming nations so all in those
societies can climb their own, very steep,ladder to minimum health,
literacy and employment standards.

How?  Not by selling higher priced soap to Bengali's, but by getting
more out of both ground and brain --- enriching one in ways to do less
damage to it. Enriching the other so each one can make his and her own
contribution.

HOW, HOW HOW?

Isn't a good start to FOCUS on a single effort we KNOW will pay large
dividends, like: Internet connectivity to every home? (or at minimum) a
nearby cyber cafe? owned by the community? coupled to innovative radio
stations and content providers? - who gather inside the cyber cafe? for
town hall meetings? job brokering? knowledge work that is insourced?

On 11/11/04, Tom Abeles wrote:

> Chetan Sharma's examples are interesting, particularly the one from
> Unilever. It is a variance on the same theme as the many "multilevel
> marketing" organizations in the US, and I presume elsewhere. Basically,
> for those unfamiliar with the scheme, one recruits persons to sell a
> product, they in turn recruit others and everyone up stream gets a piece
> of the commission from the sale of goods to the bottom of the pyramid.
> The idea, of course is one pays "retail" at the bottom and one gets
> goods at a discount higher up because commissions off set the cost of
> the goods. There are some very good versions of this, many with strong
> faith based communities which can rapidly propagate the scheme by
> networks. Of course, some of these have ended up in developing
> countries, such as Avon which has gone global.

..snip...