Dear Colleagues,

There was a point in my career when I used the newly invented
spreadsheet technology to build village models. Because of memory
constraints, I recall we had to use a lot of linked sheets! But the
results were very interesting.

I am now rethinking these models...but instead of me doing the thinking,
I thought I would ask you what village or community development models
you are already using.

My economic training was in the Keynsian school, and, over the years, I
have tried to combine typical corporate thinking about business
financial projections with Keynsian economic behavior (which in my view
is very "pure" in a remote village environment). One of the things that
is very clear, if the model truly reflects the Keynsian mindset, is that
the sequence of development initiatives in any community is a big
determinant of the outcome, and frankly, it explains why the relief mode
for development investment does almost nothing to support development
success.

The sort of modelling I am looking for is a (much simplified) village
version of the UN System of National Accounts developed, I believe, by
Dr. Stone at Cambridge in the 1950s. The important essence of Dr.
Stone's work was the idea that the assets of the entity (nation or
village) should be in the equation...and of course, that is what
corporate accounting does.

I would be very interested to get some help in "modernising" my ideas
about community economic modelling...and look forward to seeing what is
now being done!

Peter Burgess
[EMAIL PROTECTED]