On 2/10/05, Parker Rossman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I hope the major computer companies will in time consent for it to be
> manufactured in the developing world. I suppose Negroponte knows about
> developments in India, and hopes that mass production can make it
> cheaper.

I don't think it will be a problem with manufacturing these devices or
their evolutionary descendents in developing countries. Check where your
cell phone and its components were made. The point of the post was not
to herald the arrival of a device which was to finally get ICT's to the
masses but to point out that technology goes through a well understood
process of development and I suspect that we will find smart
technologies which far exceed today's computers printed on a piece of
material that can be folded up and tossed when we are through with it.

I think Sam's post hits the nail on the head when he points out that
part of the problem lies in the NGO community and its alphabet variances
and, I might add, also, with the pundits, many in the academic
community, and policy analysts, who default to technology such as
computers as if these would close both the digital and economic divides
rather than just adding another consumer product to a neoclassical model
of economic development and social change.

thoughts?

tom abeles