Dear Colleagues,

To all who have provided suggestions for this infoDev study, please
accept my heartfelt thanks. The quantity and breadth of projects people
have proposed has been gratifying; I have learned about more than just
the same old five-or-so pet projects that everyone points to and studies
to death.

A list of case studies is shaping up. I am still seeking particularly
exciting examples of applied ICT in the field of local governance, which
has proved most nettlesome of all the five categories at which I am
looking. To reiterate the criteria, these projects needn't involve
computers perforce, but rather should simply be examples of for-profit
companies using handhelds, cellphones, even (I suppose) solar-powered
semaphore--anything that genuinely lowers the cost of information in a
sustainable fashion. However, I am not so interested in ISPs, but rather
what I like to think of as second-order companies--client companies of
ISPs, if you will. By sustainable, I mean exactly that--able to make it
on its own revenues by virtue of the fact that this company is providing
a product or service that the market values sufficiently. Foreign NGOs
can have provided initial seed money to overcome high capital investment
costs, but as for ongoing (marginal, to use the economics term) costs,
these must be covered by current revenue.

Knowledge is a public good; when this report is finished, it will be
available to all in some fashion.

Regards,

Peter Baldwin

--