On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, at 9:53am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>  Or are you referring to the much-overblown "Bluecurve" issue?
>
> Since I don't follow RH's releases very closely anymore, care to educate
> me (and other non-RH fanatics :) on what the "Bluecurve"  issue is?

  With Red Hat Linux 8.0, Red Hat Software has introduced "Bluecurve", which
is a family of themes for KDE, GNOME, GTK, etc., designed to unify the
appearance of their distribution's programs.  With prior releases, a GNOME
program would look different from a KDE program.  Now they all look much
more alike.  RHS has also changed the default desktops, panels, menus, and
associations of KDE and GNOME to be similar.  For example, in RHL 8.0, KDE
uses Mozilla for web-browsing by default, instead of Konquerer.
Presumably, Red Hat's target market (corporate IT departments) likes that
sort of thing.

  This has made a certain very small but very vocal minority of KDE users
and developers go absolutely apeshit.  Apparently, they think Red Hat is
making KDE "unpure" or some such thing.  Of course, this isn't anything that
other distro vendors -- notably Mandrake and SuSE -- haven't done.  But
those other distros were either too small to worry about, or they were using
KDE as the "default" desktop, so the rabid KDE zealots did not object.

  Certain other rabid zealots fired back remarks about how KDE is under the
GPL, so Red Hat can do anything they darn well please.  Naturally, they also
had to bring up the throughly dead KDE/Qt licensing issue one more time,
just for good measure.

  Even so, the issue would have been relegated to the fringe that it comes
from, if not for the fact that major Linux sites like Slashdot and Linux
Today got ahold of it, which created a self-perpetuating flamewar for a
couple of weeks until all the sane people got tired of listening to the
fringe whine.  Deprived of their audience, they went back to pulling the
legs off spiders, or whatever it is those types do when they lose the
spotlight.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>