On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 07:00:47PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, at 5:18pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I'm not willing to pay increasingly large monthly fees for progressively
> > poor service.
>
>   It continues to amaze me how short people's memories are.  It was not long
> ago at all that an Internet feed of the speed you get from a cable ISP would
> cost you thousands of dollars per month.  Not that I am in any way defending
> the AT&T/Comcast monopoly; I just don't understand how anyone can see a
> 3000% price reduction in the space of five years and wonder why service
> suffers.  Did "cheap, reliable, fast Internet access" get added to "life,
> liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" when I wasn't looking?  :-)

This is a perception issue.  MediaAT&Comcast offer a cable modem to let
you get high speed access to the 'net.  But then they start ratcheting down
the services and up the costs.  Not only that, but the changes are
hidden (see the complaints about capping bandwidth up and down stream).

As a side note, I live in Billerica and my cable bill (cable modem, digital
cable, etc.) is ~$125/mo.  One town over (Burlington) is serviced by
RCN and the same exact service (same channels, etc.) is $40 less.  A 33%
difference in price has to be for *some* reason.

>   I'm still stuck on a rather undependable 28 kilobit dialup.  Nothing
> better is available where I live.  I would *love* the chance to complain
> about how bad my Verizon or Comcast Internet service is.  And I know I'm not
> alone on this list in that.

I think we would all appreciate *some* form of competition in the
high-speed ISP market.

-Mark