On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 20:06 -0400, Paul Lussier wrote:

> The 'search localdomain' doesn't look right to me.  What is acting as
> your DHCP server?

I think that's just the default domainname you get.  The firewall should
be handling the name service (he said it had two IPs for that).

> > It says to look to files for ethers, netmasks, protocols, and
> > networks.  I don't know where the particular "files" are, so I can't
> > comment on whether they contain the right information.
>
> 'files' means the files in /etc.
>
> > top indicates that there is nothing eating cpu time.
>
> I wasn't thinking of eating CPU time, I was thinking of something
> eating bandwidth. I don't know quite why I mentioned top, perhaps I
> was thinking that if something was using all your bandwidth it would
> also be in the list of the things showing up in top.  You might want
> to look at netstat -an and check what open connections you have as
> well...

I would also do an "/sbin/ifconfig" on your ethernet interface (probably
eth0).  Check for non-zero and growing counts in the errors, dropped,
and overruns fields.  While the system is idle repeat the ifconfig
separated by 30 seconds and see if the RX or TX packet counts are
growing by large numbers.

> > I did find a bunch of stuff when I googled "fc6 disable IPV6".  Like
> > unresponsive internet access, and sluggish behavior.  I first noticed

Looks like I have IPV6 turned on, based on the contents
of /etc/sysconfig/network.  I did not know that but it does not seem to
be hurting my firewall.  Should be simple to edit that file to turn it
off.

I assume you only have one ethernet interface on the machine and are not
accidentally routing traffic somehow (/sbin/ifconfig -a).

-dl