On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Benjamin Scott <dragonh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Tom Buskey <t...@buskey.name> wrote:
> > I've played Doom on SGI Irix FWIW.  Doom was everywhere.
>
>   I remember that!  Computers with the hottest graphics hardware on
> the planet, and Doom still did all rendering in software and just
> blitted bitmaps to X.  :)

Didn't Doom use OpenGL as its engine?  Id is one of the reasons DirectX
didn't wipe out OpenGL.

> > That mainstream OS is probably the iPhone OS, not MacOSX.
>
>   I wonder, if Droid takes off like iPhone did, will that bring more
> interest to Linux?

You mean Android right?  Droid is one model of phone using the Android
platform.

I've read of fragmentation in the Android market.  If developers can't
depend on a consistant sound/graphics/accelerometer, they're not going to
develop for it.  How many games are on WINCE/Windows Mobile which has a
similar problem?