"Jon 'maddog' Hall" <mad...@li.org> writes:

> > Not one Linux distro I've seen does a convincing job with consumer
> > media, an absolutely basic requirement, and something we ought to be
> > able to get right.
>
> Well, please ask the DVD people not to used royalty bearing patents in
> their codecs, and encryption practices that would have the DMCA down on
> the headquarters of Fedora, OpenSUSE and others.
>
> > movie or sound file
>
> H.264?  Mpeg3/4/2?
>
> Have your friends send you Ogg Vorbis stuff.  Plays fine.
>
> Apple and Microsoft have paid up royalties on these things (or at least
> Microsoft thought it had paid up royalties on mp3 until Alcatel/Lucent
> raised their hand a couple of years ago), so they can ship as many
> royalty-bearing codecs as they want.

... which has me wondering: how does Ubuntu get away with shipping all
of the stuff necessary to do DVD-authoring!?

I looked into making DVDs with one of my Debian machines at one point,
and quickly accumulated a long list of things that had been intentionally
left out of Debian due to clear-and-present patent dangers, and that I
decided against pursuing *not* out of fear for the *technical* issues
involved (pshaw!) but out of fear that I end up setting myself up for
some patent-troll to `pursue a cross-licensing relationship with' me
(did I get that euphamism right?) in the future.